Wednesday 2 April 2008

Happy Belated Earth Hour!

I bought a jar of assorted buttons at the thrift store last weekend. As you may or may not have heard, Earth Hour was observed between 8 and 9:00 pm on Saturday, March 29, 2008, by people around the world. I heard about it a few days before and decided to observe my own little earth hour at home. My friend Rebecca and I had made plans to hang out that night, and she arrived at my house just before 8:00. I had boiled water for tea, and we sat down at the table to decide what to do for our hour of lights off. I had purchased a jar full of buttons at a thrift store earlier that day, and had dumped them on the table just before she got there to check out if I scored any cute ones. We started pawing through them, switched the lights off and lit some candles at 8:00 sharp, and sorted buttons by candlelight.

1) Red Buttons
2) Grey and black buttons
3) White buttons
4) Sheesh, I ended up with a lot of white buttons
5) Big buttons
6) Yet-to-be-sorted buttons
7) Buttons we liked
8) White buttons that Rebecca liked.



Above: White buttons with no holes visible
Above: Buttons we hated


Above: Buttons we liked


Above: Buttons with apparent disabilities

We ended up sorting buttons for all of earth hour, and then for another hour afterwards. It was a good night.

7 comments:

  1. Delightful way to spend earth hour. What are you going to with the buttons you hated? Want to swap? I'll give you something you'll like for something you hate (i happen to really really love brown buttons).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am experiencing some major button envy right now. thanks for posting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. luz: email me your address and the buttons are yours. what a perfect solution for my hated buttons. i should warn you though that they are not as brown as they appeared in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what kind of brown? poopie?

    hey, i think i have an old email address for you. can you shoot me an email? it's in my blogger profile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha, i was scrolling down and thought, "oh! i really like those buttons!" then i read the caption:"buttons we hated".

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha. we were applying fairly harsh criteria for like vs. dislike of the buttons. i think the warm lighting is tricking people.

    ReplyDelete