Tuesday 27 April 2010

Seedlings

Gardening started early around our house this year.  Bri's got a flat of jiffy pots growing, and Joel and I have been working on our own seedlings too.  The first picture is of the tomato seeds in Joel's hand...we were amazed by the tiny-ness of the tomato seeds.  I've never taken the time to grow tomatoes from seeds, since it was always fun to pick them up at the farmer's market.  As an experiment, we used plastic egg cartons with holes punched in the bottom to grow our seedlings.  I'm not sure it was the best choice as they are pretty small, but the verdict is still out on that one. 


We've got basil, tomatoes, green beans, sugar peas, sweet peas, and lupin growing so far.  The rest will be planted straight into the ground.  At first I wanted to start some beets early but then I realized that if I did that, then I would have to transplant them one beet at a time into the garden, which would be ridiculous.  Glad I realized that one before I tried it!

I'm excited for my little garden this year. Yay.

4 comments: