Wednesday 15 December 2010

Keychains, Oh Brother

I'm pretty sure everyone has had at least one collection, intentional or otherwise, at some point in their life.  I've had the beginnings of a frog collection (regretttable), an owl collection (trying for it not to be regrettable), a doll collection, a stamp collection (incredibly brief), some Lion King trading cards, marbles, pogs, and probably a Monchichi collection. 

Most of those collections listed above were when I was a kid.  The owls were also more recent, but in that case I was hyper-aware of keeping it from becoming a collection, lest I become known as the owl collector/enthusiast and start getting it all the time for gifts (note: if you have given me an owl gift I probably liked it, so don't feel bad). My current accidental collection is bell jars.  I am obsessed.  I just can't get enough.  They will be the worst things to move, so I might have to slowly start detaching myself from at least a few of them.

Anyways, after an unfortunate discussion that I had with my dear friend Kerry as I dropped her off at the airport on her way to London, wherein I demanded that she bring me a souvenir and that it not be a keychain (I was joking, but also serious, but mostly joking), she decided to start me a keychain collection.  I think it was in large part to teach me a lesson about being bossy or demanding gifts.  She pretty much bought me a keychain from every major tourist attraction in London (and probably spent at least $40 doing it).  Apparently it was hilarious at the time.  And apparently it is still hilarious, because the joke has unfortunately not died.

I have recieved keychains as part of at least two Christmas gifts since then, and random keychain giftings in the interim, including a very dissapointing but still funny package I got in the mail about 2 months ago, with like four keychains inside and a note that said "I'm just house cleaning ".  Super dissapointing and also props to Kerry for a good joke.

I'm both sorry and not sorry to say that the London keychains did not make the cut when I moved over the summer.  Sorry, Ker.  It would have been great if I had them to include in my keychain collection photo below.  But, mostly I just wanted to remember the story.


Keychains pictured above include: Camp Evergreen carabiner, two identical Maligne Lake keychains, a zombie zebra (flashlight mouth), my beloved and much-used (partly due to obligation) ear-ring, a TODD SPENCER orange foam surfboard (which will henceforth be for my spare keys), and a Camp Evergreen lanyard (for spare car key).  Not pictured are the keychain versions of Big Ben, the crown jewels, a double decker bus, a phone booth, and a few more things I have forgotten.  UGH.  Enough already, Kerry.

On the other side of collections, you know, the fun and not maliciously revengeful side, artist Lisa Congdon is coming to the end of a year of documenting her various collections. Some of the ones in the early 2010 were really beautiful. I haven't followed much since then, but it's kind of a neat idea. Visit her Collection a Day blog: http://collectionaday2010.blogspot.com/

1 comment: