Friday 28 October 2011

Can't. Stop. Painting. Stuff.

When left to my own devices - as I have been often these past two months - it turns out that I just can't keep myself from making stuff, altering stuff, and of course PAINTING stuff. The latest craze is grey.

Another thing about me is that while I like to send things I don't like or need anymore to the thrift store, before I let them out the door, I always scan my brain to see if there is any possible way I can update or alter the an item to make it likeable again. If I wreck it in my attempt to fix it up, then it's not a big deal because it was just being sent to the thrift store anyways.

The latest item to get the treatment was a giant plastic oatmealy coloured plant pot. It was dirty and unsightly, but oh so very practical. It had really good drainage and an overflow holding area, which is extra nice when you don't want water spilling down on to the neighbours balconies below. But it was bringing the whole balcony down in terms of style. Maybe that sounds lame. But it totally was.

I looked at it sitting in the donate pile for a few days before snatching it out and deciding to try out a fun chevron pattern on it in grey spray paint. All I did was tape off the pattern using painters tape while I watched Friday Night Lights (thanks to Kerry), and then spray it.



The result? Well, I think I like it. And I can't wait to plant it and get a shot of it with the other pots. Easy, fun, and when I'm done with the pattern I can either paint it again or donate it.


2 comments:

  1. You are so crafty. Come craft up my life! I am super amazed by your skills. SERIOUSLY. Also, how you stay motivated to be crafty. I give up too quickly. And I hadn't ever heard of chevrons before. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete