Tuesday 5 January 2010

Old people clocks...transformed!

The Clock Transformation is complete!



If you recall from a few weeks ago, I went thrifting on Saturday with Megan and Trixie.  My biggest score of the day was three hideous glass dome clocks.  I left the picture below for speculation, but as you can see above, they are fully transformed.  The backstory is that I'd had my eye on bell jars online for months, and saw one recently at a sweet store in Edmonton called "The Artworks", but it was 450 freaking dollars and was more modern than I would have liked anyways.  I'm sorry, but for $450 it had better come with a free lifetime supply of milkshakes or some other such incentive.  It didn't, so I was left to my own devices.





1. The first step was to take the dome off and assess the situation.
 
2. Second step was to unscrew the clock mechanism from the base of each one.  This wasn't too hard, except that the plastic columns were actually part of the base on the smallest of the three clocks, and being impatient to get this project rolling, I opted for ripping them off with pliers instead of tracking down a hacksaw or something that might have made a smoother cut.  I was planning to cover the base anyways, so I wasn't too worried.


3. Next, I spray painted the bases of the clocks with white spray paint, to remove all trace of and likeness to the old people clocks.


4. Once the paint was dry, I traced circles of paper to affix to the bases, both for extra cuteness points and to cover up the screw holes in the bases.


5. Cut out the paper circles with an exacto knife and scissors.  I had to cut an extra hole in the paper for a stubborn protrusion on one of the bases.


6. Base covered in paper.


7. Completed domes from above!  The figurines in order are a bear, a bird cage, and a birch tree with paper flags in it.  I later removed the flags because even thought I liked them they somehow looked awkward on the little tree and competed with its cuteness.  We'll see.

 

The clocks were $1.99, 4.99, and 6.99, respectively, and the paper and spray paint I had on hand.  I purchased the little birch tree from Rona's Christmas village decorations for $8, so all in all it cost me just over $20 for all three bell jars.  Instead of $450.  Also it was way more satisfying and entertaining.  Hey-O! 

16 comments:

  1. I know I know, I'm going to spoil it for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know too. WHAT KIND OF SURPRISE IS THIS?

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, apologies for the late comment. i tried the other day, and before i could hit post, my internet connection died.

    they look amazing! and i say this despite how perfectly they'd fit in at hipster paradise, anthropologie.

    i'm especially fond, though, of the Martha Stewart craft expose stylings of the blog post. i enjoyed it A LOT. you are one of my heroes, bethany b.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the coolest thing i have ever seen done with those clocks! where did you come up with the inspiration? bethany b is martha stewart two point oh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stunning, Really enjoy your blog and ideas, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just clicked over from Design Sponge. Those are fabulous! I would love to link to this post if you didn't mind. Off to explore the resto fo your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, Thanks Everyone. Rachel, feel free to link to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also a Design Sponge link-over and LOVE the project. I see those hideous clocks everywhere here (did they give them away one year to every person that lived in Canada?). I'm going to be grabbing them up like crazy now.

    Thanks for the fantastic project!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your project! I just saw this on Design Sponge--am so impressed! I go thrifting all the time and now I will be looking for some funky bell jar clocks, too. Thank you so much for the inspiration. *Sherri*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mind if I post and link this on my blog? You totally inspired me to turn one of these into a little terrarium! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily - go right ahead. I'll be interested to see your terrarium. Sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete