Friday 19 November 2010

Beezus & Ramona

Yesterday, on Kerry's repeated and high-pressure recommendation, I watched the new(ish) Ramona movie, “Ramona and Beezus”. As a kid, I read the Ramona Quimby books. They were, and still are, classic stories about little-girl-hood and sisterhood.

The movie was totally adorable and basically took all the highlights from the books and wove them into a movie plot. It was a really great remake of the books and it was actually kind of amazing to watch the scenes and be taken back to being 10 years old and reading the stories for the first time. They created them just as I had imagined. It was almost eerie.

For those of you who have read the books, the part where Ramona goes to try out for the part of the princess in the Royal Peanut Butter TV commercial and ends up making herself a tiara out of burrs from the park outside was perfect. As was the early scene where Howie and Ramona are jumping out of the hole in the back of the house as it is being renovated. Or the one where she tries to crack her hard-boiled egg on her head, only to discover that her dad forgot to boil it.  She ends up with egg running down her face right before class pictures.
Another big draw is that Aidan from SATC is totally the dad.  And Ginnifer Goodwin is the adorable Aunt Bea.  Their little family is so sweet. 
The most interesting part of watching the movie, though, was realizing that as a kid, and again now, I strongly associate Beezus and Ramona with my childhood/lifelong friends Kerry and Kim. Kerry being Beezus, and Kim being Ramona. Seriously. I don’t know why I didn’t realize this sooner. I'll be interested to know if those of you who know them agree...

7 comments:

  1. How could you have overlooked the information about me pressuring you and reminding you constantly to watch Beezus and Ramona? WOUNDED.

    Love, Beezus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But doesn't every little girl feel like Ramona when she reads those books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I know them as much as anybody but I see them as so unique that nobody could match them. So I vote no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had wanted to see this when it first came out and now i really want to see it.

    i like ramona, but she's not at all how i pictured her in this movie. i think i imagined her a little more like kristy from the babysitter's club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hurrah for well-re-made childhood memories!

    i am feeling slightly left out of this since i never read any of these books. but it sounds really nice.

    ReplyDelete