Friday 5 November 2010

A biannual indulgence: a post about the dictionary and other such related things

The great thing about a blog is that I get 100% freedom to direct my own content.  This is why twice a year or so I indulge myself in a post that is dictionary-related.  You nerds out there may not care what this nerd is learning from the dictionary, but then again, you might.  The beauty of blogging is that I can float it out there without really having to worry about the negative impact that dictionary-focused blogging might have on my readership (hi Kerry and Joel!). 

So, today's post is brought to you by the hard copy of The Canadian Oxford Dictionary, The Chicago Manual of Style Online, and Dictionary.com

It's no secret that I love leafing through a hard copy dictionary.  At work I will often look up words and then spend a few moments scanning the pages before and after my original destination to see what other interesting things it might turn up.  So this morning, while I was cementing my understanding of the definition of the word 'egregious' (gross, flagrant, shocking, our outstandingly bad), I came across 'el cheapo' (cheap, inexpensive, of inferior quality, or a stingy person) which pretty much made my morning. 

For a relatively static document (at least compared to the ever-evolving internet) that has such an academic and sometimes stuffy feel to it, the dictionary actually does a surprisingly good job of keeping their finger on the pulse of popular culture.  They may be a few years behind on word trends, but they're doing a pretty good job of staying relevant.

Also on the lighter side of referencing materials, I find myself returning to the Q&A section of the Chicago Manual of Style website time and time again.  Every month, they answer people's questions on issues that may not be clear from a reading of the manual.  There is always a mix of genuine questions from people and questions that are coming from people who are clearly pretentious snobs.  And time after time, I am amazed at the way they humorously and effectively answer the questions and, when needed, knock the snobs down a few pegs.  I love them for it, because if anything I expected them to be the snobs.  I LOVE the people who answer the Q&As.  I want to be friends with all of them.  An example from last month's questions...

Q. If you have to call someone “Jeff-bear,” is the hyphen appropriate, or would “Jeffbear” suffice? The new Manual doesn’t say.

A. I’m sorry, but when we got to the term “Jeff-bear,” the Hyphenation Committee couldn’t agree and things started to get nasty, so we left it out. I’m afraid you’re on your own.


and another from the archives...

Q. I wonder which you think is best: Key Lime pie, Key lime pie, or key lime pie?

A. I’m actually partial to pecan, but if you’re asking about spelling, consult a dictionary: Webster’s 11th Collegiate prefers lowercasing, noting that “Key” is often capped.

Ha! 
 
And finally, I recently discovered that dictionary.com has a blog!  It's called the Hot Word Blog.  It's basically a playful forum for discussing all sorts of words.  Today's post is on the latest discovery of yet another word coined by Dr. Seuss. Enough said.  I like it.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post! On a similar note, I greatly enjoy the twitter stream of the FakeAPStylebook: http://twitter.com/#!/FakeAPStylebook

    A recent tweet: "horseradish - having a quality similar to the radioactive levels of a horse."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha: When using pronouns for persons of unknown gender, "him or her" is acceptable. "Them" is reserved for giant ants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to start calling YOU "jeff-bear". Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On that note, I never like saying "him or her" and usually prefer "them". Or "one's" I suppose, but that sounds stuffy and british. Can I get a ruling?

    ReplyDelete