Wednesday 24 November 2010

Using stuff up

Living in a house with roommates moving in and out over the years meant that a lot of stuff got left behind. Especially things like post it notes, pens and pencils, stationery, lotions, sunscreen, bath salts, extra shampoo, soaps and sometimes kitchen spices. I have a hard time just throwing things into the trash when there is nothing wrong with them, but all of these items would just sit around not being used because I already had my own stuff.

Over time, I developed a...um, dedication to using this stuff up.  I think it started because I have a really vivid memory of my friend Kerry, junk purger extraordinaire, becoming really dedicated to using up all of her old journals and pens, even ones that she hated. For some reason, that really stuck with me and the obsession was transferred over (I have a stack of empty journals that I have received or purchased that I am working on using...)

I became practically obsessed with using up all of the old products that were floating around at the farm house. For two years I worked away at a cupboard full of mushroom soup (????) and a big box of pasta, as well as a bunch of teacher gifts that my sister had left behind. Pomegranate lotions, grapefruit lotion, bath salts, shower gel, body butter. I put a personal ban on purchasing any items that I knew I already had. It was tough slogging, and a few items definitely got tossed when I moved this summer (although not all), but I am finally reaching the end of it. 

Too add to the crazy, I decided that I would help Melissa de-clutter her bathroom by stealing/demanding she give me all of her bathroom products that I want and that she never uses because she has purchased multiples or new onese that are better.  Best acquisitions so far include mineral powder from Sephora, straightening balm for my hair, and dry shampoo.

Last week at work I finally got to toss a thing of grapefruit lotion that I had been using at my desk for almost a year in favour of a new one that my friend Karen gave to me that I was soooo excited to start using. Yay for small victories.

To the right you can view a dramatic photo of the two lotions.

I just have a few more bottles of lotion at home, a pile of sticky notes, a whole bunch of scrap paper, about a million pencils and pens, and about a bath's worth of bath salts left.  I am racing to get it done before June 18. 

I realize this is all ridiculous, but at the same time it's helping me a) not be wasteful, and
b) not spend money on unnecessary purchases. 

And it's basically on the reusing/recycling spectrum, so that's a good thing.  Small victories, people, small victories.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I had started and rejected a post on this very subject and had been considering re-starting it! Wouldn't it have been funny if we'd both posted this the same day without realizing it? That didn't happen, of course, but it would have been snazzy. I think it's a healthy, and socially conscious, habit for the record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I could help you use up those sticky notes. Or any sticky notes that you came into contact with. I love reusing sticky notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry: That would have been great if we both posted. Another thing I have been using up is eyeshadow!

    Joel: do you want sticky notes for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So basically you're saying you'd like me to get you lotion and a journal for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think work has some post it notes that they would prefer you use ONLY at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think work has some post it notes that they would prefer you use ONLY at home :)

    ReplyDelete