Thursday 18 November 2010

Winter came late, but Christmas decorations are coming early

Joel and I just had a 'lively debate' (his words) about Christmas decorations.  He has a strict no music no decorations until Dec. 1 policy.  Whereas I like to decorate and bust out the Roger Whittaker and Amy Grant's cleverly titled "A Christmas Album" whenever the mood hits.  Which usually happens sometime in late November and often coincides with a mega snowstorm.  If you wait until December, then it's pretty much over before you even get started.

Confession: I pulled out some of my Christmas decorations today.  I couldn't help it.  I was home and it was snowy and it just felt right.  


I guess it could be argued that this is too early, I am celebrating the change of seasons more than the actual holiday in all of its meangingfullness.  But I can't help myself.  Being able to enjoy winter as a legitimately wonderful season is what keeps me happy living in a place like Edmonton.

As for commercialized signals that Christmas is coming, there are a lot of them that I like: the red Starbucks cups and the egg nog lattes that go with them, the twinkly lights on Jasper Ave, the anticipation of a break from work and time with family, yummy treats, shopping and gift giving.  I like that stuff. It adds a little romance to what can sometimes be a bleak season.  So I say bring it on.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE CHRISTMAS. And I love Christmas music. I broke it out earlier this week too, because I too am prompted by snowstorms. Yessssss! I side with you, over Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT TOOK KERRY A HALF HOUR TO COMMENT ON THIS! THAT IS FASTER THAN THE INTERNET NORMALLY OPERATES!

    i do like those sticks. and my side of the argument focused limiting christmas decorations. winter decorations are just fine.

    and how did this become late november? it's only three days after mid november!

    ReplyDelete
  3. late november starts on november 17. didn't you hear?

    ReplyDelete