Saturday 20 November 2010

Pushing Those Almost-Sisterly Buttons

My friend Kerry loves hockey.  We are good enough friends that I feel like it's ok for me to be open with her about the fact that I really don't care about hockey, and that I'm not super interested in her telling me all about hockey.  This might sound a bit mean, but she is one of my most vocal and prone-to-obsession friends, so I feel it is somewhat justified for me to stay strong in the face of her vocal obsessions. You can get a bit of background on our hockey dynamic by reading the second half of this blog post by her.

As much as I don't like or care about hockey, I do always think of Kerry when I see an Oilers game on tv because she has been so enthusiastic about her love for them. This happened last night when I was out at the bar with Joel and some of his grad school peeps, so because I have known her for a long time and know how to bait her and push at least a few of her buttons (in an almost sisterly sort of way), I thought it would be suuuper funny to mess with her by sending her strings of text messages as if I cared about the Oilers.  Mimicing actual texts that I have received over and over again from her in the past.

Here is a transcription of her totally falling for my tricks...

BB 8:22 OMG Edmonton is beating Phoenix!
KP8:22 As if you know that! What are you doing?
BB 8:24 Omg! Dustin Penner is so dreamy! #46 just pushed someone! Ahhhh 3 to zero!
KP 8:25 3 nothing? THe stupid internet cut out! Who scored the third goal? 46 is Zach Sortini! Is this Joel?
BB 8:25 Aw shit! Dubnyk just let one in.
BB 8:26 Nope! it's bb all the way.  I have no idea who scored.
KP 8:28 Darn it! But seriously 3-1? Because my internet died!
BB 8:28 Yep. 3-1. Now there is a fight!
KP Why are you watching? Where are you?
KP Penner scored #3. Why are you watching?????????
BB 8:30 I looooove hockey!!!!
KP 8:30 Plllllleease tell me.  You win. You have driven me crazy.
KP 8:31 stooooooopppp. My stupid internet! Why are you watching? Please just tell me!
BB 8:38 3-2! shit!
KP 8:39 I hate you. And Ray Whitney.
KP 8:39 Why haven't you cracked? This is mean. Although my internet is up again.  Were you a little interested in what was going on?
BB 8:39 Mua ha ha ha
BB 8:40 I was a lot interested in your reaction to what was going on.  I feel awesome and powerful right now! New favourite game!

4 comments: