Tuesday 2 November 2010

Stars - a Halloween diversion

I started listening to Stars in about 2004 when I was still in university.  A couple of their songs figured prominently on some of the early mix cds that I made for Joel right when we started dating.  We've seen them a few times over the years and every time I think I might be done with them, they come and play a  show and I love them all over again.

This time, they played at the Winspear on Halloween, which was doubly awesome because it gave me something awesome to do on a holiday that I'm not crazy about.  The best thing about Halloween otherwise was an email from my brother letting me know that Halloween was in full swing over at their house and that my neice was dressed up as a POODLE and was rolling around on the floor eating chocolate.

As you can see in the picture (credit to Joel, who took it on his phone), they had a bubble machine on stage.  How can you not love them for that?  We were three rows back so Joel and Torquil (one of the lead singers) exchanged an awkwardly lengthy thumbs up avec eye contact close to the end of the show.  And Amy Milan (the other singer) totally called out a lame guy who was smoking in one of the balconies and ashing over the railing down on to the stage.  She called him a "little sh*t". Ha. I loved her for that.

Their new album is called "The Five Ghosts" and sounds worth checking out.  My favourite will always be "Heart", followed closely by "Set Yourself on Fire".  Joel and I were listening to their old albums (and new) this past weekend while we were working on a project, and it was totally transporting me back to old, fun times.

Also noteworthy: Torquil is an actor on the side, which you can totally tell from watching his melodramatic stage presence, and had a speaking role on on episode of SATC.  He was a guy at a party that Carrie goes to with her super young boyfriend.  His line is "I like your leather pants".  Totally a claim to fame though to have spoken to SJP.

7 comments:

  1. YEAHHH!! Way to post two days consecutively. I applaud you. I also suspect you wrote this last night and scheduled it for posting today because you SHOULD be at work right now. Am I right? Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry, you are so right. I have a couple of posts drafted. Is that cheating? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think so either. It's clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also the spam montior wanted me to spell "ecrameg." which sounds like some sort of kinder surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um, typo! you write "awkwardly" when you meant to write "awesomely". it was a deep and personal connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you used "totally" 4 times in this post. funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I had no idea. I've been writing these posts pretty quickly and not really editing them (shocked?). Even so, I don't think I would have caught it because re-reading it after your comment I had to do a "find" to realize where they were. I am TOTALLY blind to my addiction to the word I guess.

    ReplyDelete